Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lime and Ricotta Pudding

Yeah, I've been really busy doing other things... and It's sad to say that I haven't had any exciting and successful attempts on cheap good food, so I had nothing much to write lately. But I made this beautiful dessert about 2 weeks ago, and I really loved it. It's called Lime and Ricotta Pudding.

I got the recipe from this book I borrowed from the city library, it's called 'Cooking Desserts' from Murdoch Books publication. It's quite a beautiful book, great dessert recipes, and beautiful photos too. Have a look next time you go to city library.

As always, I loved grocery shopping, and this time I only had to buy;

1 large lime (you need the zest and 1/4 cup of the juice)
1 1/2 cup of good quality ricotta cheese

And everything else I got it from the pantry;

60 gram unsalted butter
1 1/2 cup of caster sugar
3 eggs, room temperature and separated
1/4 cup of self-raising flour
icing sugar

And here is the instruction;
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a large ovenproof dish, about 1.5 litre capacity.
2. Then in a large bowl use electric mixer to beat the butter, caster sugar and half of the lemon zest for 30 seconds until combined. Add egg yolk one at a time. Mix until combined.
3. Gradually add ricotta and flour alternately, a spoon at a time, and mix until mixture is thick and smooth.
4. Stir in the remaining lime juice.
5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then carefully fold into the ricotta mixture in 2 batches.
6. Pour the mixture into the dish, place in a roasting tin, and pour enough hot water into roasting tin until halfway up the sides of the dish.
7. Bake for 1 hour, then sift the icing sugar and sprinkle with lime zest...

I loved it and my housemate loved it, my friends loved it. It's just so moist and smooth, and I loved the subtle lime flavour mixed with ricotta cheese... Yummy...

This serves 4 big portions, or 6 diet serves hahaha. It only cost me $6 for 500gr of good ricotta cheese, and I didn't need to use all of that, and I can't even remember how much was the lime... Let's say $1, so that's $7 for 4 serves, it's not even $2 a serve... I totally loved it and would make it again in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to be making this! I'm almost tempted to try and eat if from the scree. haha. <3

    http://thejulietreport.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete