Saturday, March 19, 2011

Beef Stroganoff


Hmmm... Why do I love this dish...? I just love it. I mean, I love mushrooms and sour cream and I also love love love dill, it's funny how this simple combination makes flavourful, delicious dish. I really like the sauce, so I add more sour cream and mushrooms, I think they're the best part of the dish. I'm not too sure but I think the actual Stroganoff recipe uses dried sweet paprika powder, but I couldn't find it in supermarket, so I used fresh red capsicum, and add a bit of sugar... I hope that makes sense.

Let's get cooking. I bought from supermarket;

about 500gr beef Stroganoff cut
300ml sour cream
200gr sliced button mushroom
fresh dill, chopped coarsely.
1 small lemon (just need a little bit of the juice, so if you have that bottled lemon juice, just use it. I personally like fresh lemon juice.)
1 red capsicum, sliced thinly.
1 small brown onion, sliced thinly.

And from the pantry I already have;

1 clove of garlic, crushed
just a dash of red wine
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 tablespoon of butter
1 teaspoon of sugar
salt and pepper to taste

And I cooked it, like this;
1. Melt half of the butter and brown the meat, set aside.
2. Using the remaining butter, brown the onion and crushed garlic until soften, then add mushroom and sliced capsicum.
3. Add in the beef back to the pan, and add a dash of lemon juice and red wine, and just a little bit of water until boils. Simmer and cover for 10 minutes until the water reduced.
4. Add sour cream, tomato paste and dill, cook and stir until heated through. Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve it with rice or pasta.

I love this better with rice, cause it soaks up all the sauce and it's really yummy. I think this recipe would be the most expensive recipe I have cooked since I started the blog, but it's actually not that bad. It cost me about $17 in total, but that serves 3. So that's just a little over $5 per serve, and I mean, yes I'm on budget but every now and then I feel like I still have to treat myself without going over my budget...

1 comment:

  1. I like beef stroganoff too! mainly coz of the mushrooms. It's so yummy and creamy =)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete