Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cinnamon Apple Cake


This is a slightly modified recipe from a book called "At My French Table" by Jane Webster. My best friends actually gave me this book for my 25th birthday :) Anyway it's a fine recipe called 'Normandy Apple Cake'. But instead of using freshly grated nutmeg, I used the traditional spice; cinnamon.

This cake is very moist, and I also love how it's not too sweet. It's perfect having this cake after a long day at work, and I love having it with tea. My housemate loves having it with ice cream. Yummm... beautiful cake always makes my day, especially when I don't have to spend a lot of money to make it.

In my shopping list;

2 or 3 granny smith or jonathan apples. Cored, peeled and roughly chopped
250gr unsalted butter

And from the pantry;

4 eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 cup caster sugar
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup milk
around a teaspoon ground cinnamon

And this is how I make it;
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Cook apples in some water and brown sugar for 10 minutes, then drain and sprinkle with cinnamon.
3. In a big bowl, mix butter and caster sugar with electric mixer until combined.
4. Add eggs, one by one. Then sift in the flour and add milk. Beat again until combined and soft mixture is formed.
5. Add in half of the apple, and then pour mixture into cake pan, and top with remaining of the chopped apples.
6. Bake for 50 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with fresh cream or...  ice cream. Or if you can't afford it, just dust it with icing sugar :p

Unfortunately my housemate threw out my shopping receipt, so I can't tell you exactly how much I spent to make this cake... I think it's about $10 and that makes 8 slices, so it's $1.25 per slice. A lot cheaper, and (I think) it's better than most cake you get from cafes. I'm gonna have the last slice now, yummm....

No comments:

Post a Comment